Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Today I was reminded of the power of words. I have one young lady who is a seventh grade student. She is a wonderful girl, and really tries hard to be someone who gives love and can receive love. But, like a lot of students her age, she's scared. Scared of failing. Scared of being unpopular. Scared of being ugly. Just scared.

Somehow, words and meanings have gotten crossed at youth group last night, leaving her in tears. The catch is, I don't think anyone else was aware that they had done such harm. I'm not sure that the others were intentionally saying things in order to cause pain. I believe it was just a mistake.

But for her, the pain is real. She heard what she heard, and it hurt.

No deep lesson here. Just for us to be aware of each other, and how we speak. Our meaning isn't always as clear to everyone else as it is to us. Love is important.

No comments: